Friday, March 28, 2008

A New Twist on Sleep Walking


I want you all to take a minute and imagine something with me. What if, while you sleep and dream of your wants, dreams, desires, and fears, someone else could look in on all of this? What if someone could see every little thing that happened in your mind, while you slept? What if someone knew everything about you, even the things you might not know about yourself?

And what if you were the person that could jump from dream to dream, discovering all of these things?

In Lisa McMann's new book WAKE, this is exactly what seventeen-year-old Janie does. She moves from dream to dream, looking in on people's personal thoughts and passions and anxieties. But, while this might seem like a cool and awesome power that you'd love, it's anything but that for Janie, who can't control her power. Day and night she finds herself sucked into dreams she'd rather not be part of, experiencing things that even the dreamer doesn't want to experience. And then, in a twist, she learns that she can change the dreams she falls into.

I bet you have chills running up and down your spine now, don't you?

Well get out and get the book to see how things turn out!!

I remember hearing about WAKE a few months ago and putting in on my wishlist. I bought the book when it came out earlier this month and read it in a single night. I seriously could not put it down.

McMann, through an interesting and fresh dream-like prose, captures the reader and pulls them into Janie's life of other people's dreams. With twists and turns, mystery, romance, action and more, there really is something for everyone in this novel.
And (drum roll please) WAKE will hit the NYT Bestseller List for children's chapter books at #9 on April 6th!!!!!!!

So YAYA members and YAYA readers, if you haven't already, get out and get yourself a copy of WAKE! You will not be disappointed and maybe we'll raise this book to #1 on the NYTBL!!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Sounds awesome. I'm definitely getting a copy, obvi

Anonymous said...

I was looking around for a new and interesting book to read when I came by this great review. The plot seems so interesting. Having the capability to peek into other people's dreams? And then learn the ability to control them?? Cool! I can't wait to get my hands on this book!

Amanda Morgan said...

When I get paid, I am so buying this book. I'm EXCITED!

althrasher said...

Sounds really interesting! Good review, Reen!

Suzanne Young said...

Reen, awesome review. You're a pro at this. :D

Anonymous said...

Great Review. On the Blueboards the author announced that her book is going to be #9 on the NY times bestsellers!

Trish said...

Great review, Reen. And it is a very good book!

Anonymous said...

Ooh okay I like this concept.

It actually sounds like something that would work well as a kind of smush up graphic- and prose novel.

Er, if that makes any sense.

On my reading list it goes.

Lisa McMann said...

Thanks for the shoutout and the lovely review, Andy! Hope you all enjoy WAKE.

I love your blog!

xox
Lisa

hannah moskowitz said...

When I was five, I wrote a story about a cat who crawled into people's ears and looked at their dreams.

I'm sure this is better...though mine did have some wicked-ass illustrations.

Jordan said...

"It actually sounds like something that would work well as a kind of smush up graphic- and prose novel.

Er, if that makes any sense."

Cat, yes it does! ;)

This book looks fantastic. One of my favorite subjects is dreams. I shall most definitely pick up this book...