Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Disreputably Fantastic Read


I was first exposed to the genius that is E. Lockhart through my fellow YAYA Bloggers not too long ago. I quickly devoured Fly on the Wall and The Boyfriend List and I have Dramarama and The Boy Book on my future reading list. As a young male, I’m probably not the target demographic that Lockhart has in mind when she writes, but I have to say that her books can hold my attention and interest in ways that no “boy book” ever has. And Lockhart’s newest book, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, did not disappoint me.

The story follows Frankie during her sophomore year at a boarding school after a summer of a few, ahem, changes. Frankie finds that her return to school brings with it a new interest from boys, notably Matthew Livingston. Along with her new boyfriend, Frankie makes new friends and basically gets a whole new life. And she’s completely content…until she finds out about the secret society on campus.

The Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, as the group is called, has been on the campus since Frankie’s own father was there. She wants to know more about them, and maybe even be part of the fun, but the Order explicitly states that girls are not to be allowed. For Frankie, this excuse isn’t at all acceptable and she goes on a hunt to find out just what the Order is…and then she decides to beat them at their own game.

Some of you reading this are probably wondering just what I’m talking about. So far I’ve told you that Frankie goes to a boarding school, that she grew up, that she gets a boyfriend…and that there’s a secret society somehow thrown in this mix. I bet you want me to tell you how these all connect and what the Disreputable History really is, or maybe just what’s so disreputable about it. Well, guess what. I’m not going to say.

That’s one of the beauties of this book. There’s a wide range of information and action going on that seem to be disconnected at first, but later you’ll see how everything comes together in ways that you never would have imagined. In addition to being a humorous drama, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is a mystery with just the right amount of suspense to keep you turning page after page without becoming an intense rush for the finish line, as sometimes happens in mysteries. While reading, you’ll learn about Frankie, her friends, her school, and even a little about life in general all while unraveling the mystery of the Order.

Seems like a lot to have in one book, doesn’t it? Somehow, Lockhart pulls it off with complete ease and smoothly flowing language. I never felt confused, but always felt surprised. How she does it, I can’t even begin to guess. But I do know that fans of Lockhart’s other works will not be disappointed with this one, and this will most certainly capture some new Lockhart fans as well.
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is available Tuesday, March 25th at a bookstore near you. So get out, buy it, and find out exactly how Frankie Landau-Banks goes from being a mildly geeky girl to a criminal mastermind in less than a year.

7 comments:

Trish said...

Reen, you beat me to the punch and said it better, as well!

I think my favorite thing about the book is Frankie herself. She's smart, wily, and has a strong sense of herself. She angsts from-time to-time, but in the end, she knows who she is... which makes her a highly likeable MC.

Fans of E. Lockhart will definitely not be disappointed by The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. In fact, I daresay it was my favorite yet.

Andrew Carmichael said...

You should definitely still post, Trish! You can probably focus on the characters more than I did. I couldn't figure out how to get the amazing plot & characters all in there without going on and on haha.

And I definitely agree about Frankie! She's almost the definitely of head-strong!

Lisa McMann said...

This book sounds really interesting and I love the cover and the title. It sounds like a homerun.

Lisa McMann

Anonymous said...

AHHH I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT.

- Madeleine

Trish said...

Today's the day! Rush to your store and buy it. You will NOT be disappointed!

Megan said...

I bought it yesterday evening. I have to finish THE SQUAD first, but then this book is next on my list. I keep passing it on my shelf and looking at it eagerly.

I. AM. SO. EXCITED.

No lie.

Unknown said...

Your contents give me more creational ideas that I can possibly use on my web page too.
http://bpclaimsinfo.com/